Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Study Permit FAQ

  • A study permit allows you to come to Canada as a temporary resident student, and enter into studies at the primary, secondary, college or university level. You must plan to leave Canada on or before expiry of your study permit.

  • A study permit is needed by an international student planning to study for more than six months in Canada. Even if you plan to study less than six months it’s advisable to apply for a study permit in case you decide to stay longer. Students of some nationalities may also require a temporary resident visa as well as a study permit to study in Canada.

  • Yes, if the course or study program extends for six months or less. The study program must be authorized at the Port of Entry to Canada.

    It is necessary to apply for a study permit however, if you plan to pursue further studies in Canada or if you would like to undertake some part-time employment on the campus of the institution where you are enrolled as a student.

  • The first step is to obtain an acceptance letter from a recognized Canadian academic institution. Once you have an acceptance letter, you may apply through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for a Study Permit. Additional requirements may need to be met in the application, such as showing sufficient funds to study and live in Canada, a Medical Examination and/or Police Clearance Certificates.

  • It depends on the country from which you are arriving in Canada. Check the following list on the CIC website:

    On the positive side, there is no extra application fee or separate form. Once your application is accepted, your temporary resident visa will arrive at the same time as your study permit.

  • Check the CIC website for expected wait times. The time needed can vary depending on a number of factors, including which visa office you apply through. ImmiCan can assist in helping you determine the quickest route to applying.

  • The Study Permit holder has to enter first. at a Port of Entry to Canada, the Study Permit holder must present a Letter of Introduction to the visa officer and advise the officer of family members arriving at a later date. Family members carry a copy of the letter issued by the visa office so they can be identified as an accompanying dependent.

  • Yes. Study Permits are issued at the same time as an approved Study Permit.

  • A Study Permit is issued for the length of the study program. If you need to extend your length of study in Canada, you can file an Application to Change the Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada”.

    For additional information on study permits contact us to book a consultation. ImmiCan is your Vancouver Island and region immigration lawyers!

Work Permit FAQ

  • This depends on whether you intend to work on campus or off campus. You may work on the campus of your educational institution without a Work Permit. To work off the campus with a local employer, you must have an “Off-Campus Work Permit”.

  • To be eligible for an off-campus work permit, you must have been studying full-time for at least six months and you must be in “satisfactory academic standing” at the educational institution.

  • Satisfactory Academic Standing is defined by the academic institution you are attending. It’s up to you to make sure you meet the requirements for satisfactory academic standing at your institution. Check the standards with your International Education Department.

  • There are a number of programs that do not allow International Students to work off-campus. This includes:

    Students in English or French as a Foreign Language program
    Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program
    The Organization of American States Fellowships Program Exchange
    The Canada-Chile Equal Opportunity Scholarship Program
    Scholarship recipients from Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade or the Canadian International Development Agency

  • Yes. The spouse of a full-time student at an authorized institution can apply for a Work Permit.

  • For qualifying studies in Canada that have been at least 8 months long, the Post-Graduation Work Permit is a great option to allow international students to work in Canada after graduation.

    The Post-Grad Work Permit (PGWP) must be applied for after completing studies. Once received, the PGWP can allow an International student further options to immigrate to Canada permanently, such as the Canadian Experience Class.

  • Request more information

    Get started on your immigration process today! Fill out this simple form and we will be in touch to explain how we can serve your needs.

We’re Here to Help:

ImmiCan Law Corporation has the expertise and experience to help you prepare your application for the greatest chance at successful Canadian immigration.
Avoid Long Delays

Avoid Long Delays

A single mistake can cause an application to be rejected. Don’t risk waiting. 5 Keys to Eliminating Immigration Delays.

Follow Changing Policies

Follow Changing Policies

CIC policies are changing. Are you sure your information is accurate and timely? Learn about recent, important changes.

Get a Second Chance

Get a Second Chance

Was your application rejected even after being assessed as having potential to succeed? Get it right the second time.