International Student Services – Applying for Study Visas, Permits, and More

Study Visas and Permits

If you want to apply for a Student Visa in Canada, the first step for any prospective international student wishing to study in Canada is a successful application to a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.

Request More Information & Get Started

After the educational institution has provided you with a letter of admission, we’re here to help you prepare your application package in order to obtain the necessary study visa.

Preparing your application package is a time-sensitive matter. Your classes are not going to wait for you. We will guide you through obtaining all the required documents, filling out forms and submitting your Student Visa application to Canada Immigration (CIC) successfully.

Click here to complete a Personal, No Obligation Assessment Form.

Applying for Work Permits and Study Permit Extensions

To make sure your studies are not interrupted, once you have successfully obtained your study visa and begin your program of study, we will follow up to assist you with any further documents that you may need during your stay in Canada, such as: Work Permits, Co-Op Permits, and any Study Visa Extensions that may be needed.

Once you graduate, we are here to support you with your Post Graduation Work Permit application.

Studying in Canada is a great way to work toward your Permanent Residency. If you decide to immigrate to Canada, your legal team at ImmiCan Law Corporation is here to assist you with your application for Permanent Residence (PR) in Canada.

Dealing with Study Permit and Work Permit Challenges

We frequently assist students with issues such as the following:

  • Rejected study permit applications: If you have been denied a study permit, we will assist you by attempting to re-apply and strengthen your study permit application.
  • Gaining work permits for students: Unless specified, a study permit in itself does not authorize you to work in Canada. However, there are certain special types of work permits available for students and their spouses and partners. We can help you apply for a Canadian work permit.
  • Permanent residence for students: Once you come to Canada to study, you may decide you want to remain in the country. There are many approaches to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada and it’s important to take the right approach for your situation. We will advise you on your options for permanent residence and help you pursue your chosen course of action.

Don’t take a chance

There’s no reason to take chances with your right to study and work in Canada.

Click here to complete a Personal, No Obligation Assessment Form.

Apply for Post-Graduation Work Permit

Under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP), international graduates may be granted a three year open work permit. The PGWP can be used to work for any Canadian employer in any industry and the graduate is not required to have a Canadian job offer at the time of application.

After completion of your study program, our immigration lawyers will help you obtain and complete the correct PGWP and application documents. This will also involve the extension of your work visa.

How long is the Post Graduate Work Permit Valid For?

You can get a work permit for up to three years if your program of study was a minimum of two years in length.

For programs longer than eight months, but less than two years, you are eligible for work of equal length to your program of study.

So, for example, if your program was one year long, you would be eligible for a one year PGWP.

In the case where you have completed two or more programs of study consecutively, such as a degree, followed by a certificate or diploma, you may qualify for a three-year open work permit. The second study program, in this case, has to be completed within two years of the original program.

Complications and Challenges

One of the complications that can arise for international students who are graduating and wishing to obtain a PGWP, is that the transition can overlap with the expiry of the study permit.

Similarly, if the candidate decides to temporarily leave Canada for a home visit or business travel to other countries, or even while making a trip to the United States, the candidate may also require a valid worker visa allowing re-entry into Canada.


There are several conditions that you must meet in order to be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Most of the conditions are fairly straight-forward.

Here’s a handy checklist to go through:

  • Did you study full-time for the eight months preceding the completion of your program?
  • Did you graduate from a Canadian Government recognized institution, a public post-secondary educational institution, including: university, college, or CEGEP; or a Canadian private educational institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees? In simple words did you graduate from an educational institute that is designated as a Designated Learning Institute.
  • Did you complete and pass the program of study and receive written notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma, or certificate?
  • Are you applying for a work permit within 90 days of receiving the completion notification?
  • Do you have a valid study permit?

Applying for Permanent Residence in Canada After the PGWP

The Canadian Post-Graduate Work Permit allows international students to gain work experience in Canada.

As such, the PGWP is intended as a direct route to apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) visa.

Currently, to be eligible for immigration to Canada via the Experience Class program, you will need a minimum of one year of work experience in Canada in managerial, professional or technical positions, at level 0, A or B under the National Occupational Classification system.

Find Out If You Qualify

For an evaluation of Post-graduate Work Permit or Permanent Residency opportunities open to you, please contact us. We offer preliminary consultations and can provide you with assistance in several languages in addition to English. We look forward to hearing from you.

Our results speak for themselves

We are experienced and knowledgeable regarding study permits and other aspects of Canadian education and immigration law. To set up a consultation regarding student visas and our firm’s immigration legal services, please contact us today.

Click here to complete a Personal, No Obligation Assessment Form.

You can also reach us directly by calling our office at Vancouver Island 1(250) -616 -4832 or email [email protected]

  • Request more information

    Get started on your immigration process today! Fill out this simple form and we will be in touch to explain how we can serve your needs.

“I’ve had the pleasure to interact with Yuri over the past five years through a variety of formats ranging from student/coordinator, colleague, to consulting client. In that time, it has been my observation that Yuri approaches everything with minute attention to detail and excellence. He has the unique ability to see the BIG Picture into the far beyond and I often hear from our students that he has provided them with help through all manner of immigration and study or work permit issues.”

David Woodward,  MBA Internship Coordinator, Vancouver Island University

Read all Testimonials

We’re Here to Help:

ImmiCan Law Corporation has the expertise and experience to help you prepare your application for the greatest chance at successful Canadian immigration.
Avoid Long Delays

Avoid Long Delays

A single mistake can cause an application to be rejected. Don’t risk waiting. 5 Keys to Eliminating Immigration Delays.

Follow Changing Policies

Follow Changing Policies

CIC policies are changing. Are you sure your information is accurate and timely? Learn about recent, important changes.

Get a Second Chance

Get a Second Chance

Was your application rejected even after being assessed as having potential to succeed? Get it right the second time.